I was under the weather today and didn't really have a voice to yell at kids.
Oddly enough, most of my kids noticed and behaved so as to not trouble me too much. They didn't want me to have to yell at them (though I did on one or two occasions anyway). All things considered, today was a good day in terms of behavior. It made me wonder if I speak more softly, will they behave better?
Kids's behavior is very elastic. I was going through some old papers recently when I saw that I was teaching a class I observed when I first arrived. I didn't remember that it was the same kids because I observed five or six classes that day. But during the observation, the kids were wild. They screamed and shouted and were impossible to get under control. But for me, they're one of my best classes. They are always nice.
So why do kids behave so differently for different teachers? It seems like there's a simple answer to this, but I know there's not.
This is normal for all kids. They are testing waters and are learning what behaviors are tolerated. You are teaching them that "wild" behavior is neither appropriate or acceptable to you. You are helping them to understand who you are. Well done, sir, well done.
ReplyDelete