Sunday, May 29, 2011

Why do expats stop blogging?

A palace or something, from some dynasty or whatever*
Nearly all of my contemporaries that are bloggers here in Seoul have a diminishing output, myself included.

Why is that? Are we a bunch of lazy expats, spending all our time getting drunk and sleeping late and watching ridiculous Korean television shows with men in colorful suits? I'm tempted to say yes, but I don't think that's really the case. On the contrary, most of us are very active, involved people. Some are taking everything from cooking to piano to Korean classes, some are going to the gym or seeing historic places. Some are reading or talking with friends. Anecdotally, the majority of people I know are not lazy people. So why does our output grind to a halt?

Because nothing seems unusual anymore. People who live in New York City don't blog about visiting the Empire State Building (at least I hope they don't). Nothing stands out as unique. And let's face it, we write these blogs for people back in our home towns, not for friends here. Seoul is where I live. And it's such a great city, I often find myself wondering why other cities don't have similar attributes as this one.

A cool link I saw recently got me thinking about this again. Click on it to find 50 reasons why I signed to come back for another year.

*Gyeongbok Palace, built by the Joseon dynasty in 1394, seen here in early March.

No comments:

Post a Comment