 |
| A woman and her baby at a restaurant near my neighborhood |
Before coming to Korea, I never thought:
- I wouldn't own a fork, and that would be O.K.
- I wouldn't own a key, and that would be O.K. I'm not sure what happened to the key to my place. It has an electronic key code that I use. So now I don't have any keys.
- I would get used to instant coffee. That's pretty much all they have here, unless you want to pay a lot of money, go to a coffee shop, or buy a French press.
- I would repeat cute things kids said.
- I would pay the equivalent of $8 for shaving cream. There is no industry for it here, since Korean men don't really grow facial hair too much. So it has to be imported.
- I would pay the equivalent of $5 for a haircut.
- People would give me free things for no reason. If you spend a fair amount of time someplace, or even if you don't, you're sometimes given a little extra something. Bar or restaurant owners just say "service", and give you free stuff. Not all the time, but frequently.
- I would get used to the sight of people carrying their dogs as they go for a walk.
- I could carry a man purse and no one would say anything about it. O.K., technically it's a "messenger bag". I like carrying a book with me everywhere I go, so I carry one. But here, about, say, 60 to 70 percent of the male population does as well.
More to come. Anyone have any other ideas?
I like this list. How about, no good beer to drink? Or living in a one-room apartment. I never thought I'd be okay with being stared at. Well, I'm still not really comfortable with that.
ReplyDelete