Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Spamtastic holiday


Chuseok, a holiday here that celebrates a plentiful harvest, is right around the corner. And that can mean one thing and one thing only. You guessed it: Spam gift sets.



It's relatively common for South Koreans to give each other SPAM gift sets. It's not a gag gift, nor is it about bestowing a funny pop culture item that someone can keep around as a conversation starter. They actually like SPAM. Well, many of them do.

SPAM was introduced to Korea by the U.S. during the Korean War. Somehow, it has remained something of a delicacy. While it's associated with poverty in the U.S., it's a little more expensive here because it's imported.

If someone served you SPAM in the U.S., you'd laugh. In South Korea though, you'd be pleased. Or so I'm told.

If you wore a SPAM T-shirt here, it would not be cool or retro. It would just seem like you really liked SPAM.

I have yet to actually taste SPAM. I read in a book about surviving in the outdoors that SPAM was a great food to take hiking, because unlike other meats, it repels black flies. Think about it. An insect that thrives on garbage won't touch SPAM. So why would I want it?

Having said that, I'm actually eager to taste it. I don't mind ham. And what is SPAM but mechanically separated pork shoulder cooked under vacuum pressure?

Fried SPAM is another matter. Certain foods that seem unappetizing, are when cooked, a little more palatable.

I'll update you all once I give it a try.

If you're interested, here's a cool site about how SPAM is made. I was surprised -- it's not as terrible as it sounds. (I'm sure many other meats go through similar manufacturing processes.) But those with weaker stomachs, be warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment